Water Therapy Builds a Stronger Body
For those of you suffering from fibromyalgia, arthritis and low back pain or recovering from an injury or surgery, warm water therapy is a low-impact rehabilitation option that can improve range of motion, balance, strength, coordination and reduce pain. Warm water therapy is beneficial because it:
- Reduces the force of gravity that compresses joints, reducing pain.
- Relaxes muscles and supports submerged sore joints and limbs.
- Floating allows the therapist to use positional and ranging techniques that are impossible on land.
- Increases circulation and decreases inflammation.
- Gives resistance based on tolerance.
- Allows therapists to work on gait and balance without risk of patient falling.
- Makes it easier to do exercises to increase range of motion, strengthen muscles and improve cardiovascular conditioning.
At North Central Health Care, warm water therapy patients receive individualized care from a licensed physical therapist who works in collaboration with your physician. Upon discharge, the therapist provides each patient with a self-directed exercise program for pool and home use.
Bring the following to your therapy sessions:
- Swimsuit or shorts and a T-shirt.
- Water shoes or slip-on shoes for the pool deck and shower room.
- Insurance card or workers compensation insurance information.
- Doctor’s order.
- List of current medications and over-the-counter vitamins.
- Dime for a one-time usage locker; larger lockers available for long-term rent.
Download our Aquatic Therapy Brochure.